The Warm up should be approximately 120-135 BPM and should include all the principles of a good warm up according to the American Council of Exercise. In addition, the Drums Alive ® program should include the following:
- Begin with mobilization movements and skills.
- The Warm-Up blends and integrates the principles of drumming, rhythm, movement, and proper exercise designed to warm up the body; it lifts the spirit and prepares the mind for the Golden Beats workout.
- A Warm Up should include all the principles of a proper warm up according to the American Council of Exercise (*please see the Drums Alive Instructor Manual).
- Make sure participants are comfortable with the ball placement and moving in relationship to the stability balls and other participants before progressing to more advanced skills and choreography.
- Practice safety skills before beginning the program.
- The warm up should last approximately 5 – 20 min. depending upon the participant’s needs.
Before progressing to the next phase please make sure that participants are warm and ready to perform more advanced movement and drumming skills. It is always a good idea to practice the difficult positions, rhythms and moves slowly and without music before beginning the class! Below you will find some warm up ideas:
Mobilization Warm Up Ideas
Shoulder & Neck Combo
Very slow (8 beats) for each movement
- Right shoulder roll
- Head tip
- Head turn
- Chin to chest
- Repeat left side
- When ready – change to 4 beats for each movement
Shoulder Shrug Combo
Shrug shoulders rhythmically as follows:
- Both shoulders – Up, down, up (Hold)
- Down, up, down (hold)
- Variation: Opposite shoulders (one up while the other is down, switch, switch/hold)
- Slow weight shift – foot to foot (similar to a sway)
- 2 doubles side ball – with side sways of upper body
Proprioceptive with Basic Drumming Warm-up
- Hip shift – doubles 4
- March – 8 singles
- Repeat 4 times
- Weight shift (like a sway) 2 doubles side ball w/side sways of upper body
- Around the ball – 4’s, 2’s, and then singles – switch directions